Thursday, August 27, 2009

3 sticks and you're out

Today's visit: the phlebotomy lab was W A Y backed up. Took an hour for my to get my draw. Normally it's 5 minutes. Some sort of training debacle there.

When I finally got in it took the phlebotomist 3 tries. It's not the multiple sticks I mind so much, it's the digging around while my veins roll away from the needle. And trust me, I got some good veins - "juicy" they say (though I don't think that's an actual medical term).

Anyway, when I went back with my Nurse Practicioner and Doctor, we looked at the results on the computer and my Neutrophil count was 0.0. If my math is right I think it was actually 0.04, but they round the counts off. For those who don't know, neutrophils are the particular white blood cells that are your first line of defence for infection.

They gave me a shot of neupogen - a hormone to boost WBC production - but they decided to postpone my infusion until Monday (originally scheduled for tomorow), but we're going through with it regardless of the counts.

So I called up my Sister in law - she was going to take me to this treatment. To my surprise she said she could do Monday! Tomorrow we're going to try for a bike ride, weather permitting.

So I get a bonus weekend of not feeling crappy. I'm probably going to be thrown off next week though. I usually have an idea of how I'll feel based on the day of the week after treatment. When I went just one day early for the July 4 holiday it threw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment