Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fun with insurance

Actually, dissability insurance.

So I've been receiving dissability payments for many weeks. The doctors office filled out all of 2 pages of paperwork and the claim started paying no problem. Then the checks just stopped coming. After a week of waiting I called my HR person. Story she got was the insurance co. claimed that they tried 3 times to fax my Dr.'s office for confirmation of continuing clinical necessity (or something like that). They also claimed to have left me a voice mail at home. Well all my voice mails go to my email and I had no record of that call (big surprise). Got the name of my claims person and she gave me the story about the 3 faxes. After getting additional contact info from her (fax, etc) - gonna play by the rules as far as I can - I asked why there was even an interruption given the original paperwork from the Dr. stating 6 months of dissability due to treatment, side effects, etc because of CANCER. That seemed to shake her up a little bit: "Oh, well, um, we'll see if we can get a check sent out tomorrow." WTF ?? Sounds to me like someone was just too lazy to actually review 2 pages of paper work and/or do any meaningfull folllow up (what no PHONE CALL to the Doc?)? In the meantime I contacted my Dr.s office with the necessary contact info so they could also follow up and send anything requested.

These conversations all happened Wednesday of last week. Yesterday (Monday) there actually WAS a check in my mailbox. And for two benefit periods, making the payments current.

I would so love to know the whole story behind this little escapade.

1 comment:

  1. dude, I seriously have a hate for insurance companies. They seem to want to try anything to get out of paying.
    Take, for example, my son's hearing aid. Two months before we plopped down the 2 grand for it I had notified them, gotten clarification for paperwork needed, and it was all pre-approved.
    Almost two years later I just gave up trying to get reimbursed.

    ReplyDelete